06 March 2009

Cartoon No. 18 - Belo and Abunda Controversy

Potpot: "It's so hard to be beautiful!"



I'm recently reminded of a recent controversy between Dra. Vicki Belo and Boy Abunda. I'm sure most of you already know the insulting remark Dra. Belo said pertaining to Boy Abunda's personal appearance. Here's what she said exactly during her interview in Showbiz Central:

"If you want to look like Boy Abunda, go to Dr. Calayan. If you want to look like Dingdong Dantes and Piolo Pascual, go to Belo."

This generated a lot of emotional reactions, especially from Boy Abunda himself who was deeply hurt. Some laughed at Dra. Belo's remark. To be insulted and to become the laughing trip of the country is not easy to swallow. My sympathies goes to Boy Abunda and as for Dra. Vicki Belo, "Shame on you!" We are always reminded that beauty should come from within. How we appear on the outside is useless if we don't know how to be GOOD as a person.

This controversy also reminded me about healthy competition between businesses. I own an internet cafe and last month, another internet shop opened right across mine. At first, I got worried because normally, people would try patronizing the new shop to see what it has to offer. I would lose my customers if they would find it "better" than mine. And so I'm banking that the services of the competition is lousy and my customers would realize that my shop is still the "best". A few weeks after the other shop opened, my sales declined. As expected, people were testing the waters. But eventually, regular clients returned. Remarks regarding the new shop started to flow. I remember asking my staff to keep a keen ear if the competition is bad mouthing our shop. This concern was the 1st thought that came to mind when I heard the Belo-Abunda controversy. I'm ready for a healthy competition. But if they hit me below the belt, that would mean a different story.

Belo Medical Group, led by Dra. Vicki Belo pioneered several cosmetic surgery procedures in the country. They were most popular in the field of cosmetic surgery in the country as they earned the trust of many celebrities that lined up for their services. Now it has a challenger -- the Calayans Surgicenter, led by husband and wife, Dr. Manny V. Calayan and Dra. Pie C. Calayan. The Calayans' portfolio also includes names of famous celebrities.

We live in a world where change is inevitable. We should always be up for the challenge without stepping on other people's integrity.

Please don't forget to subscribe to get the lastest cartoons / comic strips!







Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment